How to Be a Productive Adult on a Saturday

Step 1. Wake up before 11am.
Step 2. Do stuff.

Huh. Who knew it could be so simple?

Hubby and I have been wanting to install a storm door for almost two years now. After a lot of hemming and hawing, we finally contacted someone for a quote — the same company we used to replace our leaking skylight earlier this year. They want $325.00 just for the installation, which seems absurdly high to us but maybe we’re just cheap. Instead, I contacted my uncle (who is not blood-related, but just a longtime family friend) since he does all kinds of odd jobs in his spare time. He told me he would be by “in the morning” and I had no idea what that meant to him, although I had a sneaky suspicion it meant earlier than 11:59, so I peeled myself out of bed at 8am and downed a steaming cup of Bewley’s Irish breakfast tea to wake myself up. He got here around 9:30 and took a look and told us it looked like a pretty simple job. He was going to go to Home Depot and said he’d work up a price for us, so here’s hoping he can do it for much less.

Feeling quite accomplished with ourselves already, we decided to tackle the leaves in the front yard AGAIN. Seriously, it’s never-ending. We only had 3 bags left, so as hubby raked, I crammed as many leaves as I possibly could into those bags using whatever means necessary, i.e., crumpling up the bag and sitting on it to smash the leaves down and make more room. I’m sure the guys working on the house across the street found this quite amusing, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Those 3 bags didn’t last very long, so I made a quick run to the store to pick up 10 more, AND the last 2 curtain rods we needed to have a complete set in the living room.

It doesn’t end there. I did a Bollywood dance video that I found for free on TV, and by “did” I mean that it was on and I watched it and I did vague approximations of the actual moves because I have no rhythm or flexibility. But it got me sweating and now I can say I worked out today.

THEN, we showered and got dressed and went shopping. We went to two comic book stores in search of some book for the hubby. I had high expectations for this outing, considering that I’ve never set foot in a comic book store and the only frame of reference I have is from The Big Bang Theory. I was expecting to walk in and find lots of nerdy guys who would swoon and stammer in the mere presence of a girl in their store (a la Penny), but nobody even looked twice at me and there was even some other lady in the second store we went to.

Empty-handed, we left and drove to Target to pick up exciting things like toilet paper and water. We also grabbed a bunch of canned goods for the food pantry at church tomorrow and headed to Toys R Us to pick out toys for the Toys for Tots program. We do this every year, except we always seem to end up going AFTER they’ve collected the toys and then we have to scramble and find somewhere that is still accepting donations. This is the first time we’ve ever gotten it done this early, so we’re feeling quite proud of ourselves.

When we got home, I took a 4 hour nap. The only thing that made me wake up was realizing I hadn’t eaten dinner. So, we threw together a little mini-Thanksgiving feast of pre-packaged, chemical-full deliciousness. I had every intention of making a vegetable to balance out the horridness of this meal, but only realized I forgot when I took this picture:


And by then I was too lazy to walk the few feet into the kitchen to heat up some green beans.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s