>We had our home inspection one week ago today and we received the inspection report on Monday. It was maybe a little worse than I was expecting, but not too bad for a 90-something year old house. Basically there are four major issues that need to be corrected before we agree to buy it:
1. Knob and tube wiring. I had no idea what this was, but it turns out it is pretty much original to the house and was probably installed by Thomas Edison himself. It’s also kind of unsafe because it’s not grounded. I have no idea what that means, but the inspector and my dad both make serious faces when they discuss it, which makes me think it’s NOT GOOD. Some of the electric was updated at one point, but it looks like some of the k&t is still in use.
2. Termites/carpenter ants/mice. According to our attorney (more on her in a bit) the sellers are pretty much required by law to fix pest problems because we won’t be able to get a mortgage without a clean termite report.
3. Asbestos. This is a given considering the age of the house, but some of it needs to be sealed correctly.
4. Broken beams in the basement. One of the beams is cracked right through and the homeowners attempted at some point to fix it by nailing another board on to the broken one. They didn’t do it correctly, and it’s starting to sag. There is another cracked beam that hasn’t been fixed at all. They both need to be ripped out and replaced.
Aside from that, there are lots of little (and not so little) things that would need to be done: alllll of the windows need to be replaced, there is a crack in the living room ceiling that needs to be addressed, there is cracked plaster in a couple of the closets, the sidewalks and driveways need to be redone, etc.
Now then. Our attorney called me on MONDAY to discuss some of these issues and she told me to send her a list of things we want them to fix. She would then send this over to their attorney and we would wait for an answer. We’ve been waiting on pins and needles for the past THREE DAYS wondering what’s going on, slowly starting to gain hope because it was taking so long and if they weren’t going to do anything then they would have said NO RIGHT AWAY. Right? Well. I got an email from the attorney at 10:30 last night and Mr. H and I both got very excited thinking this was it! SHE HAD JUST SENT THE INSPECTION LETTER THEN. And it was not even some very involved and well-written letter that would justify THREE DAYS worth of revisions. All she did was copy and paste the list I sent her and add a few of her own comments. One of these comments was a FLAT OUT LIE, which makes me very uncomfortable. She told them that we have contacted five insurance companies and have been denied homeowners’ insurance by every single one of them because of the wiring so this is something the sellers really need to address if they want to sell the house. UNTRUE! We contacted three companies: State Farm will not do it, All State doesn’t offer insurance in our location, and Progressive said maybe.I don’t want to say anything because I don’t want to cause problems with her.
So now we wait.